Friday, August 5, 2011

Video Project with Little Tybee - Phase Deux

I finished "The Wanderer" and thought I would post some in-progress pics.

This is the first of 6 figures I will be making for this project. I'm pretty happy the way it turned out and I love to see the how the marionette moves with all those strings.....

His hands - one's carved and one's just started.


I'm actually making 2 copies of our hero - one is a full marionette and the other is a seated figure whose arms will move via rods from underneath. I "cast" the front of the head, (using more polymer clay), so they would be identical.


All the arms, legs, boots, and heads - painted and aged - ready to be assembled.


Dressing the seated figure.
Sometimes it seems like assembling a puzzle; they have to be put together in a specific order. I've learned this order after making a few frustrating mistakes in the past. Luckily, on these two figures, the vests can be slipped on from the back, which is not always the case.


The marionettes' body ready to be dressed. His socks are felt.


His boots are ready to go on after his pants are on.


Adding the strings to the the marionette - 12 in all.


His head showing the 3 strings that control the movement.


Stringing up the marionette. He seems a little dejected without his head.


All finished! except for maybe a little tweaking for functionality. He is approx. 18" tall.


His back, showing his awesome European shoulder bag.


More to come. Next is the Fortune Teller............

4 comments: